Tuesday 3 December 2019

How I bribed my way into Mexico and My run In With A Corrupt Mexican Official

I don't hate flying, I do hate taking off so I use CBD to relieve the anxiety. People who know me could possibly say I'm an idiot, and they would not be far of the mark. I am however a diligent fellow and always check if CBD is legal in the country I am travelling to. I did this before my recent foray to Mexico for some much needed winter sun. The flight was fine, which I knew it would be, but you know, anxiety.Imagine then, my suprise to be pulled up by a young male Mexican customs offical, after we had pressed a button which lit a red or green light randomly, green was go red was a random bag search. This young man claimed that CBD was so illigal in Mexico that it came with a hefty jail term, and asked for my passport. I argued the toss with him for 10 minutes whilst he threatened me with jail and hours of delays whilst it was delt with. The way he kept changing his story started to alert me to the fact that he was trying to pull a fast one. He kept telling me he would have to tell his superiors but when I asked to speak to them he was decidedly reluctant to call them over and after a while I noticed that he was concealing the incriminating bottle from the security cameras and the other staff rooting through our luggage. It slowly dawned on me that I was subject to a scam and he was asking for a bribe. I must complement him on his English as his demand for money was so subtle and nuanced as to not be an actual demand for cash. I have to admit coming from the UK where bribary by public officials is so rare I have never heard of it happening, or know anyone it has happened to. It took me a while to work out what he meant by "there are two ways we can deal with this sir" once I twigged I blurted out "oh I see, you want money?" Much to his embarrassment judging by his pleading look to keep my voice down. I asked how much he wanted, he shrugged his shoulders and said "how much have you got?" I explained to him I had just come off an 11 hour flight from the UK and no money on me apart from 75 pence which had been floating around my bag for months. He very kindly provided me with directions to the nearest cash point and suggested I withdraw some money. Again I asked how much would it take to make this non problem dissapear. Again he shrugged as If to say make me an offer. I decided to low ball him as by now I was angry and humiliated, mostly by my own imagined stupidity at not checking if it was indeed illegal. I offered him 10 dollars. His face went pale and he seemed insulted. He immediately said $200. I hate to say it but I laughed out loud at him, he looked no older than mid twenties and was slim with a teenagers body, no taller than 5 foot. I am a 47 year old man who stands at 5 foot 10 with the build of a rugby player weighing in at just under 20 stone (280 lbs) shaven headed and bearded, some have said I can look quite thuggish and intimidating. The thought did cross my mind as he lead me away from his colleagues and handed me my passport with instructions to insert the bribe into it and return it to him as to come at our transaction, to just barrel past him to freedom, my wife and luggage ( including the offending bottle of CBD) and our awaiting transfer bus. Then I did what I always try and do when in a confrontation, and put my self in his shoes. I thought about how little he earns in comparison to me, even though I earn little above minimum wage. I thought about the bravery it would take him to risk losing his job over a few quid. After a little more haggling we agreed on 100 US dollars and he lead me to the door of the customs hall and pointed out the convenient ATM located just out side. I with drew the money placed it in my passport and walked back in and handed it to him.he looked embarrassed and frightened, he guided me to a corner and suruptisiouly took the passport stuffed full of US dollars then returned my passport. I left quickly and joined my wife who had moved outside. We found our rep and were directed to our bus. Only them did the anger fully hit me. I could see my wife was shaken and scared but all I could think of was 1000 things I should have done to mitigate the encounter. But the worst anger and the thing that is still erking me even now was the amount of charges to withdraw $100. $5.50 ATM charge and $11.90 forien exchange fee. The whole lot cost me £91. I feel no enmity toward the bloke but I am furious with the banks who charge us to access our own money. I hope the cash bought his family some respite from the constant demands of modern life. As I lay in bed last night thinking over the day's events I was saddened to think that his beautiful country, the place he lives and works will be, as a result of his corruption, worse off in the long run. I am certain he will not declair this "tip" so no tax will be paid on it. If I had have spent it here I undoubtedly would have been charged tourist rates and the tax raised would have gone towards schools and raids and all the things governments spend money on to better the lives of their citizens. I found my self hoping that the money would change his life for the better. Yes I lost a days wages, but I would have probably only spent it on that or food or something just as frivolous. I thank my lucky starts to have been born in a country where I am safe and looked after by my government. I moan a lot about my government and their policies and it is true that the current rabble seem uncaring to our more needy citizens, but this has made me reavaluate my life, only a little, but enough to be thankfull. So here's to you unknown corrupt official I hope my embarrassment fear and anger are not for nothing and you use that money to make your life better. I now realise how lucky I am to live in the UK. Things can always be better but it is sobering (a difficult task at a resort with a free bar) to think about how much worse it could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment